Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sept 19, 2009: Week 17

I am working backwards here: posting later entries rather than the earlier ones: I really hope I can catch up!

This past week we started the planting cycle again. First we marked the 3 rows for planting with a 4ft wide hand-made wood row-measuring device, then hand planted some seeds, and finally covered them up with dirt using a hoe. Then we ran the plastic hoses alongside the newly planted rows, and checked for leaks. Then we covered the rows with a white fabric tarp. What I most remember was when I was concentrating on dragging the hoe carefully alongside the row, the ground "moved" as if I was mixing cement or working in mud. It was a disturbing optical illusion because the earth really seemed to move like a lava where I pulled the hoe. I need to research this phenomenon...