Thursday, June 11, 2009

June 6, 2009 : Week 2

For week 2, I came slightly more prepared with cheap cloth gloves and a blue handkerchief wrapped around my neck. The previous week my neck was a little red from being in the fields for all afternoon. I still only have a baseball cap, rather than a wide brim hat. The good ones are close to $10 and the cheap ones are, well, cheap. I may continue to put off buying one until I really need it. The sun was shining but it was also breezy. I saw a bird (don't know which...yet) fluttering in the ground and then found blue speckled eggs in the field. I also found a frog in the cracks of the earth near an irrigation line. There is wonderful life in the earth and I need to re-gain an appreciation for its beauty. It was mostly a weeding day. I started weeding the turnips (by hand), then ran a few irrigation lines again, and then went back to wedding. Erin had this Planet Jr walking weeder device that was so old school (literally made in 1920) that i really felt like a farmer. We also weeded the squash and zucchini, which were grown under a white fabric to prevent insect infestation. One more week, says Erin, and they will be ready...