Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4, 2009; Week 6+

I am an accountant by trade and experience. Even so, I can't keep proper track of the quantities and varieties of vegetables we are receiving. This week was more red leaf lettuce, mixed green, sugar snap peas, spinach, summer squash, zucchini, turnips, another kohlrabi, and another head of cabbage. [I am beginning to wonder as the kohlrabi pile up on our kitchen counter how far I could hit one with a baseball bat.]

It’s amazing how others react when I tell people I am working on a farm for a share of the food grown. More often than not, I am asked about how I found about it and how they could participate. I am really fortunate to have found this farm for the experience and for the food! I get a sense that more and more people would eat healthy if they knew how to. I hope that mega foodstuff conglomerates become worried that small farm communities are the new (and only) future of America's food development.